A book to reprogram the way you think about landing a job. Read by students all over the world from Harvard and LSE to IIM and the University of Hong Kong. Join the thousands who have achieved EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS from guidance provided in a no non-sense manner.
If you’re serious about joining an investment bank then this guide will be an indispensable and vital asset for you in your job quest.
What does it take to break into Investment Banking? Can I do it?
(For students and those about to start their studies – undergrad & grad)
The traditional approach to get into the business leaves far too much to chance and is more of a memorise-hundreds-of-interview-Q&As-and-formulas-like-a-dog-and-wait-to-get-picked mentality. Of course, you’ll have to do a lot of hard work and preparation if you want to win that coveted seat – that’s a given. But most people end up wasting precious time on activities that won’t further their cause. The key to your success shouldn’t cost hundreds or thousands of dollars either.
The ibanker will help you adopt the right mindset, outlook and strategic approach to your search.
“But I’m working really hard toward breaking in, already”
So you’ve already read all there is about investment banking, gone through hundreds of interview questions, have perused all the bank websites, learned your financial formulas and done all that kind of work. You’ve done things differently…or have you?
- You have literally spent hundreds of hours online, on forums, chat sites, blogs and the like.
You’ve paid lots of money and enrolled in financial modelling courses
- You’ve contacted people in the business, be they alumni from your school, friends of friends, your uncle’s former dorm mate, your neighbour’s hotshot cousin
- You’ve read the finance classics and have also watched Wall Street enough times to recite whole sections by heart
Basically, you’ve done the same thing as many other determined and eager candidates. Let’s face it, you’re not the only one looking to break into the business. There’s tremendous competition, just like there is to become an actor in Hollywood, a successful musician, etc. If you take the most travelled route then you’re leaving things in the hands of luck. Carve your own path. This eBook will teach you how.
“But I’ve spent a lot of time preparing”
Fine. That is very good and the more you’ve learned the better. But keeping busy doesn’t mean you’re productive. You may be wasting time on the wrong activities.
The reality is that there’s a universe of information on the web to go through. On the one hand much of it is as beneficial as used condom. On the other, some of it is very useful, practical and should be studied.
The good stuff includes:
- Material explaining what different bankers (e.g. M&A, DCM, ECM, Research, etc.) do day to day, including example deals and how they’re executed
- Practical and detailed advice on how to handle recruiters and prepare your application
- Videos of professional bankers talking of the business, the culture and their day-to-day roles
- Tips on networking with bankers to gain an edge
- Studying successful resumes and listening to what recruiters have to say about the things that catch their attention
Remember, the above is what most eager and ambitious people are already doing.
You have to be different
What this guide promotes is a shift in mindset.
It outlines a number of steps you can put into practice to tackle your job search differently and more effectively than most people do. You will learn why you need to be contrarian in your approach.
Things to consider:
- I landed a job in banking and didn’t have a 4.0 GPA or straight A’s or whatever grading system you want to refer to. Far from it…
- I’ve seen candidates from all walks of life land a job in the business. From various countries around the world, reflecting a wide range of academic disciplines and different extra-curricular activities. Some came with previous finance experience while others had none. There were those who took the normal route into the bank. And of course there were those who used contacts or clever tricks
- You need not have studied at one of the world’s top schools
I genuinely hope the advice contained inside this e-book not only helps you break into investment banking but enables to dare and ultimately achieve bigger and greater things than you ever imagined.